With the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attack fast approaching, here are some events going on in Shelton to commemorate.
- Shelton Flag Retirement Ceremony:
- WHAT: Sutter-Terlizzi, American Legion Post 16 of Shelton will be holding a flag retirement ceremony
- WHEN: Sunday September 11, at 1 p.m.
- The public is invited to attend the ceremony and scout groups are encouraged to attend in uniform with their unit colors.
- WHERE: Persons having flags to be retired may drop them off at the American Legion, 295 Bridgeport Ave. in Shelton. A metal red, white and blue flag deposit box is located under the front porch of the post.
- When the United States flag (Old Glory) becomes worn, torn, faded or badly soiled, it is time to replace it with a new flag, and the old flag should be "retired" with all the dignity and respect befitting our nation's flag. The traditional method of retirement is to incinerate the flag. (See photos from last year's ceremony here).
- Program Coordinator Mike Kellett said that althought this is an annual event, "it just happened that [this year's] fell on 9/11."
- WHAT:This event is being held in memory of 9-11 and will honor Canine Service Heroes and their handlers fighting to protect our country.Trap Falls Kennel Club will offer a chance to learn about ways to stay true to your friend through proper training, communication, food and more.Learn, play games and have fun at this free event.Bring pet care items, which will be donated to ‘Presents 4 Paws’ and local shelters.
- WHEN: Saturday, September 10, 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- WHERE: 100 Canal St, Shelton, CT 06484
- PRICE: Free
- WEBSITE: http://www.trapfalls.org
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remembrance Resolution to be passed by Aldermen:
- WHAT: Alderman John Anglace reports that a resolution will be passed at next week's full board meeting remembering the 10th anniversary of September 11th attacks and encouraging all Shelton residents to fly the American flag! The Aldermen are calling for a National Moment of Remembrance.
- WHEN: Thursday, Sept. 8, 7 p.m.
- WHERE: auditorium
- Heroes Day at SportsCenter of Connecticut:
- WHAT: The will mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 by honoring members of Connecticut’s police force, fire departments, EMS, all members of the armed service and National Guard--and their immediate families with free use of the SportsCenter’s golf, baseball/softball facilities, ice-skating rink, lazer tag, fun bowl and Game Zone arcade.
- HOW: Officers and their immediate families simply show their badge/ID and are entitled at no charge to a round of miniature golf, a large bucket of golf balls to hit on the all-weather driving range, a batting cage token, four tokens to Game Zone, a game of lazer tag, a game of Fun Bowl bowling and ice skating at The Rinks.
- WHEN: Sunday, Sept. 11, 10 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- WHERE: 784 River Rd. (Rte. 110), Shelton
- CONTACT: (203) 929-6500
Become a blogger today!
Get started now