Whether you're in search of something fun to do with the kids or you have a babysitter and are planning a night out, look no further because Patch editors have picked a variety of events taking place today and tomorrow to help you make the most of your weekend. Click on the headline of each for more information.
Newtown: Arts Festival
There will be live performances and workshops of dance and music, art presentations, art workshops, activities for children, and lots of food. Click here for a schedule of events.
Southbury: 2012 BentFest at Audubon Center
Family festival with live music by the blue grass band Wild Goose Nation, picnicking in the meadow, river and nature walks, local food vendors, kids’ activities, bird watching, raffle prizes and more.
Trumbull: 34th Annual Trumbull Arts Festival
Sunday, Sept. 16:
- Trumbull Arts Festival: Fine Art, High-quality fine craft, Limited or handmade prints, Offset lithograph prints, Country Crafts, Handcraft item under $25, Painted / appliqued clothing, Photography; Trumbull Town Hall Green, 5866 Main Street,about 1 mile north of exit 48 off the Merritt Parkway. Time: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Discovery to Cure Walk returns for the fifth year to Westport's Sherwoods Island State Park on Sept. 16, bringing together hundreds of people of all ages, including cancer survivors, dedicated to raising funds and awareness for ovarian cancer research.
Sunday, Sept. 16
The annual Colonial Fair and Muster Day shows what it was like to live, play, eat and work during colonial times. To see photos and an article on the 2011 Colonial Fair & Muster Day, click here:
Friday, Sept. 14 & Saturday, Sept. 15
- The Irish Heritage Society of Milford's Annual Milford Irish Festival will "Kick Off" on Friday, Sept. 14th with music by The AleHounds and Fenian Sons, food and drinks.
- On Saturday, the Festival gets into Full Swing with Irish Music by Stone Row, Broken Banjo Strings and the Highland Rovers.
- Children's activities from 11-6 will include face painting, arts and crafts, games and prizes, a Bounce House, and Rock climbing wall.
- For more information, click here: .
Saturday in Stratford, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. -- -- you'll get the chance to: Stop staring at your screen. Walk outside. Talk to artists. Look inside yourself and ask: "What am I looking at?"
Art takes us into the minds of the artist, true. But it's best used for getting to know ourselves.
Be part of an international coastal cleanup Saturday by helping out at Fairfield's Jennings Beach. The cleanup will take place from 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. Meet at Jennings Beach and come prepared with sunscreen, bug spray, drinking water. Trash bags and gloves will be provided.
Enjoy a fun-filled day of music, puppet shows, and hands-on art activities at this free outdoor event. Come stroll the grounds and Sculpture Walk, and enjoy the music of Howard Fishman and the Biting Fish Brass Band as they lead you around the campus of the Silvermine Arts Center. The fun is from 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. is open to everyone.