Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) reported parking lots may fill up early in the day, and people should expect traffic delays and crowds.
The following information is from a DEEP news release:
State parks that often close because of full parking lots during summer weekends and holidays include Squantz Pond, New Fairfield; Rocky Neck, East Lyme; Pattaconk, Chester; Wadsworth Falls, Middlefield; Sleeping Giant, Hamden; Millers Pond, Durham; and Kent Falls, Kent.
Hammonasset Beach State Park in Madison has a large parking area and rarely closes.
Announcements of parks that are filled to capacity are made on Twitter and Facebook at the following addresses:
- Twitter.com/CTDEPoutdoorrec – general information about the park system and outdoor recreation in CT including closures
- Twitter.com/CTrockyneck – specific to Rocky Neck –Updates posted about activities at the park as well as parking conditions
- Twitter.com/CThammonasset – specific to Hammonasset and activities for campers, folks looking to visit Meigs and general park conditions
- Twitter.com/CTsherwoodislnd – specific to Sherwood Island and activities at the park including parking
- http://www.facebook.com/CTStateParks --Information about Connecticut State Parks including upcoming events and activities.
A full list of state parks, their location and directions to them is available on CT DEEP website.