January 6, 2013
Good evening students, staff, parents and community members,
I would like to provide to you an update on Mayor Lauretti and I met with Shelton Fire Marshall, Tortora and Building Inspector Ballaro to debrief the results of our site inspections, which were completed between, Dec. 17 through 27.
Based on report the follows steps continue to be our focus as we address improvements in school safety and security:
- Replacement of the entry and exterior doors of the following elementary schools: Elizabeth Shelton, Long Hill and Mohegan.
- Mill Clear Security Window Film and/or a stainless steel mesh screening will be used to upgrade the entry and exterior doors to our other schools (i.e. SSS, BHS, SHS, SIS, and PHS)
- Assesment and evaluation of existing security camera systems at our school sites should be completed by Jan. 31, 2013.
- Interior door locking options have been evaluated and we have begun to address and replace lock sets the provide safety and security to students and staff while adhering to existing fire codes and ensuring means of egress.
- Shelton Intermediate School security entry locking system will be replaced to a keyless scan card.
- School and district emergency procedures, protocols and drills are being reviewed and a concentrated effort will be on compliance, efficacy and efficiency at each school in conjunction with Shelton Police Department.
The replacement of the entry and exterior doors in the first bulleted item above represents replacement of the original entry and exterior doors at each facility. There will be a Public Improvement Building Committee meeting on Monday, January 7, 2013 @ 6:30 PM in Conference Room A at the Shelton Board of Education offices located at 382 Long Hill Avenue. This meeting will initiate the process of getting the entry and exterior doors completed through design and installation. This meeting is open to the public and I encourage you to attend if you can.
Feel free to contact me, directly with any questions or concerns.
Superintendent of Schools