The man who died from injuries from a Jan. 22 fire at 593 Howe Ave. has been identified as Michael Boroski, 52.
Boroski was pulled from the ground floor apartment. The fire was likely caused by "careless use of smoking materials," said Fire Marshal Jim Tortora. It started in the living room, he added.
Firefighter Chris Jones spotted the fire as he was exiting the Boys & Girls Club in Downtown Shelton. He banged on the ground floor apartment door but got no answer so he tried the next apartment and escorted out a family of four.
Firefighters later found Boroski unconscious in the ground floor apartment.
On Saturday, Gov. Dannel Malloy and Congressmen Jim Himes and Rosa DeLauro honored Jones, who credited all the firefighters who responded.
"I was in the right place at the right time," Jones said. "They're the ones that deserve the accolades."