.

Home Safety Reminders from our Shelton Fire Prevention Bureau

Alas, we weathered the storm or shall we say Blizzard and as a Realtor at William Raveis' Huntington office and Mother, I am constantly focused on Home Safety, especially this time of year!

Recent snowfall has prompted the Shelton Fire Prevention Bureau to alert the  public of common fire hazards in the Home that must be recognized.  Thanks to my colleague and fellow Realtor Ben McGorty at William Raveis Huntington Office, we have the following according to Ted Pisciotta, Assistant Chief of Fire Prevention whom "encourages everyone to be highly vigilant to avoid having a fire within a home or business.  Consider the following fire safety precautions.

*Verify that all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms work on every level of your Home.  Test them monthly and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times.  If the alarm sounds or indication of fire is noticed, ensure that all occupants evacuate immediately.

*Ensure that the outdoor vent of any clothes dryer is clear and not blocked by snow accumulation or drifting.  Clean lint from the dryer screen (trap) before or after each use.  Clean lint from the duct (vent hose) that carries air from the dryer to outdoors.  Keep the area around and over the dryer free and clear.

*Carefully consider the benefit vs. consequence of using a fireplace.  ONLY use a fireplace if you are confident of the condition of your chimney through annual inspection and cleaning by a professional.  Burn only proper seasoned wood.  Know the proper use of your fireplace.  Store removed ashes in a tightly covered metal container outdoors, a safe distance from the Home.  NEVER place ashes in boxes, bags, or plastic containers and NEVER on a wood deck or near the House.

*Do not use candles for any reason.  Do not permit open flames within homes or businesses.

*Avoid use of portable space heaters, but if necessary be sure the heater has a thermostat and built-in protection from overturning.  Always provide a minimum 3ft. clearance between space heaters and anything that can burn.  This includes rugs, curtains, and furniture.  Due to multiple hazards use of kerosene heaters should be avoided.

*Do not smoke indoors.  Ensure cigarette butts are extinguished.

*Pay close attention to all cooking, including using toasters, toaster ovens, and other cooking appliances.  Do not leave the kitchen.

*Turn off and unplug electrical appliances, devices, and products when not in use.

*Remove snow (or have someone remove snow) from entry and exit doors of your Home or Business.  This includes those that may be needed for emergency evacuation or escape in the event of fire.

*If the fire hydrant is near your Home or Business, try to keep it clear of snow and debris for easy access by the Fire Department.

*Know when and how to call for help.  Remember to practice your Home escape plan."

-Ted Pisciotta, Assistant Chief of Fire Prevention
Shelton Fire Prevention Bureau

 

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something